I know there already are tutorials on this subject. However, I want my tutorial to be very detailed and with a lot of pictures. The whole tutorial is split in several chapters. Every chapter describes a step. Chapters will be published periodically, as my free times schedule allows me to write. Once I have written new chapters, links on this page will be updated. First two chapters are somehow general information about bras. Next chapters will dive in how to sew my bra pattern.
- Materials used in bra making
- Bra sizing
- A glance on the pattern pieces
- Planning bra design and gathering needed materials
- Before sewing – some needed tools & notions
- Sewing cups
- Sewing the band
- Attache cups to the band
- Sew band elastics
- Prepare straps
- Determine bra elastic’s length
- First stitch to attache bra bottom elastic
- First stitches to attache bra underarm elastics
- Before making the final stitch on elastics
- Final elastic stitches
- Channels and under-wires
- Bra closure and furnishes
- Some analysis and conclusions
The bra model is quite popular: cut & sew foam cups with a cup made out of three pieces. Main fabric for the bra is stretch lace. Also, it will be an under-wire bra with non-detachable straps.
This tutorial will be about my method of sewing a bra. Please take into account that I am not a professional. I do not even know the name of some technical items. Many of these items are not even available in my town. So, I will use goods I have and suit my needs. You are welcome to help me write this tutorial with any useful information/tips you have.
- Note (1): take into account, all the information I share here are gathered from internet or from my personal experience. They might not be 100% right. For me, this method gives pretty good results, it doesn’t mean you’ll get the same result. However, I think with care you can manage and get satisfactory results.
- Note (2): in this tutorial I will NOT talk about bra pattern making/drafting.