Although nobody has asked me directly, I believe this question lies on some of your lips. I thought I’d answer this properly.
But before we dig into the subject, just a quick notice. Since the release, I’ve got a lot of request for unavailable sizes. The following were added this week:
- EU100E/ UK44DD/ US44E
- EU100G/ UK44F/ US44G
- EU70E/ UK32DD/ US32E
- EU75E/ UK34DD/ US34E
- EU85A/ UK38A/ US38A
- EU100AA/ UK44AA/ US44AA
- EU60J/ UK28GG/ US28J
- EU60K/ UK28H/ US28K
Please check back on the pattern’s download page. The mentioned above sizes should be available for instant download. More sizes to come in the next weeks!
Back to the main question. There are two big reasons for Maya being a free sewing pattern.
- One: my Romanian sewing folks sew everything, except lingerie. I really want them to start learning to sew panties and bras. So I have been thinking, it would be very disappointing to buy a bra pattern, sew a bra and discover it was a complete waste of money. But, having the pattern for free, with the help of my tutorials and with some waist fabric, it would be a good opportunity to learn basic techniques and fit for lingerie sewing.
- Two: well, can you honestly answer two questions? First: Would you buy a sewing pattern from someone you don’t know completely? Many of you did not know about me, or my blog, or my passion for sewing and design patterns. I honestly don’t think there would be people who’d buy blindly my patterns 🙂 And to be more honest, I for one would not buy a pattern from an unknown source. Some of you have seen my bras made for me, but there is a long way from one body to … a lot of bodies. I could have made 20 bras and still nobody would’ve bought the pattern. One thing I was wrong though, I had doubts people would want to test it, for free. But you did! And I had testers, more than I’d expected! And here comes the second question: Would you buy or try a pattern if you’d seen testers and reviews across the sewing blogosphere?
The above were the big reasons. But there are some more:
- Why give Romanian women the opportunity to learn to sew bras only? Why not give this opportunity to the whole world! Across the globe there are women who can’t afford patterns, or expensive laces and trims, or RTW bras. Let them all learn lingerie sewing techniques with a free bra pattern. Because, face it, learning process is money and materials consuming.
- I’m not a professional, I’m learning alongside.
- What if the pattern is a disaster? How can I charge on that?
- Please don’t get me wrong, I have been sewing from, well, as long as I can remember. And all the patterns were drafted by me. I’ve never bought a pattern in my life! But there is a lot to know when drafting for myself or for a few family members, to drafting for a wide range of sizes. Life experience beats all the expectations! We all have unique shapes.
- If I’d put a price on Maya pattern, I could never compete with the big names in this industry.
But if you want to see more of my patterns, projects, tutorials, you can offer your support: subscribe to my blog posts, or like/share AFI’s Facebook page.
Thank you! And happy bra sewing!