I get asked this question “how to start and make my own bra” a lot of times via my email. So, if you ever heard about:
- I made my bra
- I make my own lingerie
- or if your ears/eyes caught the fact that someone made a bra
Then you know – it is possible! But where to start? This post is for you – an introduction where to start and what to research.
There are various bra types, but all of them divide into two very large categories:
- bras with underwires – which give a clear separation for the breasts
- wire-free bras, called wireless bras
You should know:
- a bra is like any other garment
- you can sew it but you have to learn a few things before you actually sew one
- like any other garments you can make from sewing patterns, there are bra patterns too; Afi Atelier has a FREE one, the Maya Bra
- bra sizing is different from the clothing sizing
You have to understand that there are 2 major aspects with bra making:
1 – learn construction – this is done with each bra you sew
2 – fitting the bra to your shape – this is done in time with research
Every pattern has instructions. Some are more detailed than others. You can practice the above techniques when sewing a pattern and following its instruction. The golden rule: follow the patterns instruction step by step!
You can watch educational videos. There are tutorials on YouTube. But understand – you actually learn when you sew a bra yourself!
You don’t have to know the sizing or the fit to learn how to construct a bra. You can pick any size, cut it and start sewing. But it’s a lot satisfactory, when you sew your bra. This is where the sizing and fitting come in.
Fitting the bra to your shape
Do NOT get upset if your first or second bra do not fit. Do NOT give up. There are bra making groups on Facebook. Come join and explain what your fitting issues are. There are many wonderful people who will jump in and help you.
Having the above, here’s a bullet plan of the steps to dive into bra-making:
- first step is to find the wire that fits your body! Not the pattern, not a bra. But your body!
- choose a pattern (look for sewn samples, read reviews)
- read the sizing information for the pattern – every pattern has its own system to determine the size!
- determine your size for the chosen pattern
- read about the needed fabrics and notions
- take the time to research about the fabrics: powernet, powermesh, hook and eye etc
- research cheap supplies
- sew a test bra – from waste/cheap fabrics; do NOT sew a bra from your good supplies!
- first bra almost always goes to trash – but this one is to break the ice
- with the test bra you will understand: construction, how the bra shapes, if you found the right size, if you need to adjust the pattern
- make more testers – research the fit and ask questions
- when you’re satisfied – sew a bra from good supplies
This is all on a theoretical level, of course. But it gives you the idea what you have to do. Take it step by step. Do not rush. Enjoy every level you get to! Being able to make your own bras is amazing!